Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Snölykta...

Meet the next few pages in my Christmas journal. The left side (vellum page) features a photo of my niece and my sister. The right one has some journaling and photos of Christmas preparations.

We got much more snow over night. Yet again, no-one around here can go to work. All the cars are just standing here totally covered in snow. We watched some neighbours bravely attempting to get their car out with shovels for nearly half an hour before giving up this morning. There really is no point in even trying.

You've probably wondered about the title of the post by now. This is a "snölykta" which we made last night (see photo above). This is something that we made a lot when I grew up in Sweden and there was snow. Basically it's a lot of snowballs that you make into a lantern shape, put a tea light candle inside and light. So cosy! I'd be very interested in hearing if this is something that you're familiar with too or if it's a totally Swedish tradition...I really have no idea, so please share if you know this or not? :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is SO cool!!! I've never seen one before but now I want to try making one myself. It would look amazing to do the entire pathway that way.

Anonymous said...

Very nice! What a unique tradition! I live in Iowa in the US and we've had our share of snow... but it's slowly melting away. Perhaps if we have more snow... I hate to even say that... then I'll try the snolykta myself!

~ RebekahBoo said...

I'm from Illinois-USA....Never made one before, but next time we get snow, I'm going to have to do this. It looks so pretty. I enjoy your blog and your projects. Thanks for sharing.